The Transportation Sitch – Daily Transport


Before arriving in Managua, I had several expectations and misconceptions about local travel based on information I had read on the internet and what other people had told me. In my experience, traveling in taxis and public buses is a safe option provided that I use common sense and make sure to keep my personal items close.
Quick tips for public transportation in Nicaragua:-Keep money and credit cards hidden in a money belt or tucked in your bra.
-On the bus, carry any bags on the front of your body (i.e. carry your backpack around your chest instead of on your back).
-Try to avoid traveling with valuables (obviously this isn’t always an option; I traveled with my iPad and iMac laptop when I had to).
-In a taxi: You can always write the license plate number down and give it to someone else if you are worried. You can also ask for a taxi driver’s identification. Some offer their information without request, though this is not extremely common.
-Try not to take a cab at night alone. I did it, but only when I had to.
-Taxis generally charge more at night, sometimes double the normal cost.
-Always agree on a price with a taxi driver before you enter the vehicle.
-Find out how much a taxi ride is supposed to cost; if you know the price and ask for it, taxi drivers will usually agree to the actual cost or close to it.
UAM offered a couple choices of how to get to and from school each day; initially, all choices seemed to be either dangerous, costly or “not a good idea for a gringo” like me.
Photo courtesy of Encuentra24.com (http://bit.ly/U8RnhU)
Example of a Nicaraguan taxi; Photo courtesy of Encuentra24.com (http://bit.ly/U8RnhU)
Our university provided a taxi driver that we could use, and with him we could set up a pick up and drop of schedule if we wanted to. Although an extremely safe option, this taxi driver would charge a flat rate of C 50 ($2.10) per person, per ride. Compared to a fare in the U.S. this is not expensive, but it is more than the normal fare in Nicaragua. From my house to UAM (about a 10 minute ride), a normal taxi costs either C 30 ($1.25) for one person, or C 50 for two people. However, taxis are notoriously risky. Though I haven’t had any problems taking cabs (and neither have any of the other international students), I met several Nicaraguans that experienced a robbery in a taxi. For that reason, especially at the beginning, our program advisers strongly encouraged us to not take taxis alone or a night.
The third option to go to and from school was to take the local bus or “ruta.” The bus stop is a 3 minute walk from my house and after a 10 minute ride I have about a 5 minute walk to class. The cost? C 2.50 ($0.10). Taking the bus is more economic for a daily commute especially since it is pretty quick to arrive. It still can be dangerous, as there are people who have been robbed on buses, though many people say it is generally safer than taxis during the day (in my experience, both are equally safe). The downside to taking the bus is that during rush hour, especially in the afternoon/early evening the buses are absolutely packed and really uncomfortable. Also, sometimes it is annoying to walk to class from the bus stop because it is so hot that by the time I arrive I am drenched in sweat!
A friend and I on the local bus or "la ruta."
A friend and I on the local bus or “la ruta.”
I have become more accustomed to taking taxis and that is my main vehicle for travel. I spend about $8 on travel each week getting to school, though it could be a lot less if I took the bus more regularly. I suggest that if you wish to take public transportation, just be smart about it: following the tips that I suggested at the beginning of this post should help you be safe, though just as in any other major city, there is no way to stop theft or petty crimes. I cannot prevent being attacked, but I can be safe by taking precautions and protecting my valuables as best possible. I have had positive experiences taking public transportation, but I am almost always alert of my surroundings and personal belongings.
- Kine Camara

No comments:

Post a Comment