Less than a Stranger


Starting school at Universidad Americana de Managua is like starting freshman year all over again. I do not have a full schedule, I do not know where my classes are, I do not have any books and only brought two pens with me, and I do not know anyone except the other nine ISEP exchange students. I am speaking English to the few people I know, which I do not want to do, but I do not know how to communicate well enough in Spanish, and honestly, I barely feel like I can communicate in English. The pit of my stomach still feels like it has tight knots in it. I am not nervous. Those knots are there because I do not know how else to feel about this surreal experience. I have been going back and forth between Spanish and English, I am exhausted after my wearing summer and time change, and I have to go to a new school somewhere totally different than my own. I am so excited, but overwhelmed. I did not have any time to prepare for this adventure, mentally. I seem to figure many things out though…usually. 

- Gracie Bronson

No comments:

Post a Comment