Mi Madre Nicaraguense


Señora Teresa is awake every morning by at least 6am, although I have not been up that early yet, bustling around making desayuno, and other food for the rest of the day. Dona Fatima is her elderly maid, who has been in the family for a while, but looks damn good for her age, and comes over every morning to help cook, clean the house, and do laundry. I open my door when I wake up and say “Buenas Dias,” and am automatically served breakfast of fresh fruit and juego, café, and one of many options like eggs and ham, pancakes (some of the best I have ever tasted), Nicaraguan toast, beans, bread and jelly. Teresa cooks much of the day, watches some TV, gets up to serve and play with her granddaughters who are 5 and 2 years old and come over everyday until her son comes and gets them, goes to the market, and lord knows what else. She puts everyone in her family first. I have seen her eat a meal once, but she says she snacks all day when I ask if she has eaten yet. She speaks fast Spanish, and does not know any English, but is very patient and humored by my efforts to communicate. It is my favorite part of the day when I come back from school and get to talk to her. She has prepared food for my dinner already, although most times I just want to tell her to relax and let me cook for myself. She makes me feel welcomed and cared for, and is an amazing woman all together. 

- Gracie Bronson

No comments:

Post a Comment