We Got Fabio on Nicaragua - Quizala and Pochomil


I just can’t get enough of the beach, and while I have the opportunity visit water I can actually swim in, my intention is to go as much as possible!

This week three other friends and myself went to two beaches on the Pacific coast: Quizalá and Pochomil. We decided to rent a car for the day trip, which ran us about $40.00, and it was well worth it since some of the terrain was irregular, bumpy and susceptible to becoming dangerously muddy if it were to rain. 

We left Managua around 10:30 a.m. and drove for about an hour before reaching the actual town which had openings to several beaches.First, we went to Quizalá, which was a very secluded beach (we found no other people on the there until the very end of our stay when a family emerged from a house located on the shore) – which we found at the end of a long and rugged road. We had to ask several times for directions, and good thing there were pedestrians and people on motor bikes and bicycles to lead the way.


This beach looked almost identical to some that I have visited in Washington state; aggressive and boisterous waves, overcast sky with rain in the future, a quiet and calm solemnness….ahh but the water was actually warm (as was the air)! I spent a while just listening to the ocean and enjoying the tranquil setting. Looking out on the water, I couldn’t help but be grateful for the power in the sea, it was incredibly memorizing and humbling.

After spending an hour or two at Quizalá and working up an appetite for lunch, we headed over to Pochomil which is the popular beach in the area. This beach, completely different from Quizalá had tons of restaurants on the shore and other people in the water.


For lunch, I had fresh Ceviche with tajadas (plantain chips) as an appetizer, and for the main entree fish with a tomato sauce drizzled on top served with salad and tostones (fried plantains) on the side. The Ceviche was decadent; it was like the best salsa you’ve ever had but with fish – absolutely amazing.



After lunch, I did one of the funnest things so far here in Nicaragua – I road a horse, on the beach, at sunset! My friend Meghann and I went off on our horses (without guides, I guess they trusted us when we said we could ride) and only paid C 100 (aprox. $4.20) for a 45-hour long session. “We got Fabio on Nicaragua.”

I really enjoyed myself on this day trip and I would highly recommend it as long as you are driving in a secure vehicle, preferably with 4 wheel drive (though we didn’t have it). If you are passing through Nicaragua, it’s not somewhere that you “must visit”, but rather if you are living in Managua, it is an easy getaway from the rustle and bustle of the city!

- Kine Camara

No comments:

Post a Comment