"Hasta Luego, No Es Un Adios"

For any of the readers out there who don't know, I have been an exchange student here at UAM-CUSE since August 2011. I can still look back to the days about a year ago when I spent much of my time prepping myself for a year in Nicaragua. I wasn't sure what to expect other than I knew it was going to be hot, really hot, and I was going to have to speak a lot of spanish. Although studying abroad was a little daunting at first, I was extremely excited for the adventure. I had learned bits and pieces of Nicaragua's history and culture through numerous Spanish, History, and Latin American Studies classes. I even spent time reading several books on Nicaragua, all in the hopes that it would better prepare me for my time here. In a sense, it did. I knew quite a bit about the history, and I wasn't completely clueless how to speak in Spanish; however, there were also many things that I was not prepared for.

In coming to a new place, a new country, and a new culture, things were a bit different than my life back home. Yes, there were differences that I was expecting, but there were also many other unexpected encounters. For example, when I first started meeting people it took me a while to get used to kissing on the cheek. I can also still recall the first time I saw someone drinking a Coke out of a bag with a straw, the first time I saw someone eating some weird creamy tortilla stuff, also known as quesillo, or going to the grocery store and not being sure where to put my cart. There were many firsts here in Nicaragua and many interesting encounters; though over time I've come to love many of them. A kiss as a greeting is no longer strange, but rather something that I'm going to miss when I leave. Drinks in bags are still a little out of the ordinary, but I enjoy the experience. And quesillo is no longer some weird creamy tortilla substance--but rather one of my favorite lunch or dinner treats.

A lot of firsts occurred during my first semester. That's not to say that there weren't also many new adventures this semester; but rather, I've spent much of this semester diving deeper into the culture, learning more about the country, and enriching relationships with the people. I've been very lucky to have an extended time, about a year, in this country. It's allowed me to learn a lot more. Nicaragua has a lot of history and I've learned parts of it in all different facets of my life here--whether it be a professor, fellow student, taxi driver, or a random man at the grocery store. They have all offered many different perspectives on the history and culture of Nicaragua and I've very much enjoyed each person sharing their two cents. Each time a new topic or idea is shared I have learned a new way of looking at things. In a lot of ways, it's changed me and how I perceive the world. It's something that I have been very blessed to encounter while here in Nicaragua.

One of the biggest reasons that I am happy to have stayed another semester was for the relationships I've made with people. Sure I had made friends the first semester, but adding more time made those friendships more real. It offered an authenticity to the friendships because I wasn't just here for a couple months. I've also been privileged enough to see the beautiful places Nicaragua has to offer. From the Atlantic Coast, tourist filled San Juan Del Sur, Canyon Somoto, Granada and Leon , this country honestly has some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

If I have learned anything from the traveling I have done, and especially from my time here in Nicaragua, it's that each culture has beautiful things to offer. Yes, cultures may be very different, but that doesn't mean they are bad. If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to travel. It expands your ideas about life and the world which I doubt can be learned in any manner other than experience. Cultures and people will surprise you and teach you many lessons. So go out there, don't wait.

There are so many things that I have come to love about this country. I'm realizing how strange returning to my home country will be, but I'm happy to know that Nicaragua will always have a spot in my heart. So instead of saying goodbye, I'm saying hasta luego Nicaragua, hasta que nos encontremos de nuevo. 

- Jordan Crownover

No comments:

Post a Comment