Meeting My Superstar!





I was born to a father who grew up in the world of entertainment, that is of West African Folkloric dance, drum and theater, so without even meeting the world yet, I was destined to land on a stage. In my early childhood, I would accompany my mother and father to the dance classes he taught in Boston. As the adorable five year old that I was, I would shyly follow his footsteps until I noticed an adult watching me and then I would scurry away in fear. Around the age of eight, my father began to incorporate me into his shows and I started performing, usually only short pieces of his choreography. The cool thing was that I always got an immensely positive reaction from the crowd because my father would use my entrance as a surprise factor. It was genius.

Growing up on the stage led me to acquire an interest in learning and performing other styles of dance; I have always felt relief and joy from movement and music. However, in the recent couple years, with a heavy class load and internships taking up all my time I have not had time to dance even for fun aside from going out on the town and taking Zumba.

Studying at UAM gave me the renewed opportunity to participate in extra-curricular activities and this October I danced in the musical Chicago at El Teatro Ruben DarĂ­o. Being on the stage, apart of a team of hard working students, alumni and UAM staff reminded me how much I love to dance and perform. I was not the star of the show, but I sure felt like a celebrity and that is a feeling that I don’t ever want to let go. It wasn’t just the fame that thrilled me, but also the feeling of feat that came along with achieving the full choreography in unison with my fellow dancers. Maybe dancing won’t lead me to a career, but it will fulfill my need to feel spectacular, adored and accomplished. Not only that, but dancing allows me to express myself creatively which I believe will contribute to my effectiveness in the workplace and even in relationships. 

Everyone has a unique creative ability; it is the exact quality, which differentiates humans from animals. Finding what makes us shine and feel successful, skillful and experienced can help increase our confidence and self esteem in all areas of our lives. I am so grateful for the experience of performing in Chicago and for the reminder it provided me; I hope I never forget how much joy it brings me to dance on a grand stage no matter how busy I become in life.
- Kine Camara

No comments:

Post a Comment