The Rainy Season Seized Up


I arrived in Nicaragua on July 30, and will be returning to the states, “si Dios quiere” (if God wills), early December. The rainy season in Nicaragua lasts from June-December, and I am happy to report that it sounds worse than it actually is. Since in the Northwest, the rainy season is long and miserable, I had low expectations for the comfort during my time in Managua. However, I found that the rainy season here could be more appropriately titled as “The Hot with Occasional Downpour Season”.

When it does rain, the temperature is still unbearably warm, and it is almost never cloudy or overcast for more than a few hours at a time. I think there may have been one or two days which were overcast all day, but don’t forget, it was still hot! There is also a great deal of humidity, so even if rain brings the temperature down, it seems that the humidity increases which in effect doesn’t seem to change the temperature at all.
October was the month with the most rain, and November has been extremely mild. I think there was one hard rain all month; two tops.

The benefit of traveling during the rainy season is that prices are lower for tourists, or so that is what I hear. I have little to compare my experience to since I have only been here during rainy season. I would say that the most useful tools for navigating the rain here would be an umbrella and rain boots. Forget wearing a rain jacket; every time I did people stared at me. I wore it anyways because I missed home, but truthfully it rains so hard that an umbrella is far more practical.

So I survived. I prefer Managua’s rainy season to Seattle’s any day.
- Kine Camara

No comments:

Post a Comment