Thought I Was Special, but No!

Before arriving in Nicaragua, I had a serious of orientation and information sessions regarding my study abroad. A large portion of the orientation process was opening a discussion about culture shock: what it is, how it manifests and how to cope with it. Now all of this information was good, but I pretty much thought I was exempt from the whole phenomena and set it aside.



Despite all the warnings, I truly believed I would be unaffected. Even more, I thought I would not miss home at all. However, the last three weeks, I have missed my home, friends and culture more than ever. I have been so homesick, that I have even begun to miss things that I generally hate about my home city. For instance, I miss the cold weather of fall. I miss wearing a rain jacket. And I even miss my busy university schedule with classes paired with an internship that barely leaves me room to take a shower. This feeling of homesickness has definitely surprised me and has not felt good, but after some time in self-pity, I have been able to begin reflecting and feeling gratitude.


The truth is, that I miss being apart of a community. Back home I have so much support from friends and family, and I am familiar with the resources in my community that I need to succeed. All of this contributes to my quality of life, and I bet if I stayed in Managua for two years, I would be able to build the same understanding here that I have back home. It just takes time.


Through all the homesickness, I have been able to make use of the coping mechanisms that my coordinators suggested before I left the states. I talk to friends and family on a daily basis, I treat myself to foods that remind me of home, I wear my rain jacket even though people look at me like I am crazy, and I listen to lots of music that I don’t get to hear in Mangua. Now that I have less time left than I have been here in Nicaragua, I am back to feeling excited and just want to make the most of every day that I have here. There is lots of travel to come in the next month and I will have many stories to tell!

- Kine Camara

No comments:

Post a Comment