Dia de Orientation

Image
Yay! Today was such a great day! I woke up super early because I was so excited to go to school then went to school and had orientation.
At orientation I met Stephanie, my mentor here at UAM. She is awesome, I can’t wait to get to know her more! She showed me around the campus, which is bigger (and in some parts nicer) than Johnson State College. I didn’t take pictures today, I am trying to fit in a little bit…I mean the really white skin probably throws a lot of people off but I don’t want to be the "chella con un camera" (white girl with a camera)..not yet at least.
After the campus tour Stephanie invited three of the International students out to lunch with us and my spanish teacher! We had a great time and I tried a quesillo, a tortilla with cheese, cream, and onions wrapped inside of it. SO good. We eat them in a plastic bag. First you take a bite or two, tie off the top of the bag, shake it around a bit and bite off to bottom of the bag and munch through it that way. It was delicious and so filling. (#3 new thing!) 
My spanish teachers name is Anna, she is from Spain and I am her only student for the  entire time I am here (how lucky!). We will work together Monday – Thursday 8:30-12:30 then on Fridays we do excursions throughout the country. Anna seems wonderful! We have our first day of class tomorrow morning! 
After lunch my new friends and I went to a cafe and hung out. We also went to go see Los Rapidos y Los Furiousosos  (I didn’t spell that right, but the fast and the furious) at the movie theater at the mall. They all are very cool and have really embraced the nica / managua culture. They also have a lot of good pointers! It was such a great time! 
I feel like I did SO much today and I only told you about a few things. All in all, today was an amazing day and I can’t wait to spend my month of June in Managua.
For all my visual friends, I did post some pictures with this blog. One, from the UAM facebook page. Stephanie made a status , just shows how awesome UAM is (and Stephanie too!) and a really embarrassing selfie of me and my new international student swag I got this morning. 
Enjoy! y bueno Noches! Good night! 

- Kailie  Gulino

No comments:

Post a Comment