Ometepe

So I have been pretty busy the last couple days, and I have a lot to talk about, but that will all have to wait while I throw in my ode to Ometepe.
In 2011, I found out I was chosen to work with a team of students on a clean water solutions trip to Ometepe, Nicaragua. When I first found out, I was stoked! Clean water? Awesome! What a prevalent social issue in the world today. Then O realized I was going to Nicaragua? First thought that went through my head was, what? Where is Nicaragua? 
Then, 5 months later, I found myself amongst the most amazing people I have ever met. In the most amazing place I had ever been, doing the most fantastic work I have ever done. I am not exaggerating when I say, I cried so much on the last day before I left that my tears could have filled up Lake Managua. I don’t know what it was. Maybe it was the culture shock, the village and the social issue that made me realize just how fortunate I am. Maybe it was the overwhelming sense of hope and joy that came out of every single community member we worked with. The people of Merida may not have a lot of materialistic things, but they sure do have a lot of the important stuff: love, hope, and happiness. I met some amazing people, some who I still are in contact with today, like Yeri! and David, and Kaiylie, Jamie and Alvero. And now I get to see them in less than 24 hours!  
I came back to the United States a different person in March of 2012. And now its June of 2013, and I am finally (yes FINALLY) going back to the same place that changed my life, and words can not describe exactly how happy I am.  
And that was my ode to Ometepe.
- Kailie Gulino

No comments:

Post a Comment