I Made It!

As of right now I've been in the beautiful country of Nicaragua for almost 24 hours. After waking up at 5am yesterday to catch my flight out of Seatac, I had a layover in Houston and landed in Managua around 6pm. In my exhausted, emotional state I was just glad the Managua airport is tiny and impossible to get lost in since there's pretty much only one option for where to go when you get off the plane. The ISEP director Mary Helen was there to greet me and take this celebratory picture. 
Chatting with Mary Helen made the drive to my host home go by quickly, and her kindness and excitement to see me definitely helped ease some of my nerves. When I arrived at my house I was greeted with a kiss by my host parents Anita and Edgard. Anita promptly made me a "sandwichita" made with three pieces of white bread and some ham and cheese. As I talked with my host parents it was good to realize I could understand most of what they were saying, especially my host Dad who speaks slow enough for a gringa like me to understand. 
I was so exhausted from my day of traveling so I unpacked my bags and went to bed pretty early. My room is small and cute with a little green fan that is my new best friend. 

Today I didn't have much to do since orientation doesn't start until tomorrow. My host mom took me to the supermarket and then to the mall nearby. It was so interesting to see all the American brands everywhere in the grocery store and the mall too. In some ways it's so similar to home here. We have wifi at the house and my host dad has an iPhone, I bought herbal essences shampoo and had a mcdonalds ice cream cone today. But in other ways it couldn't be more different. 
- Kayla Duskin

No comments:

Post a Comment