Studying Abroad Opened Doors For Me


I originally decided to study in Latin America in order to see a part of the world that I had been studying in my coursework. I spent one year in Managua, Nicaragua at Universidad Americana and loved every minute of it. The university was centrally located, so I was able to travel the whole country as well as Costa Rica. 

After an amazing year abroad, I did not want to leave, but the academic year ended, and I went back to my university at home. While speaking to an administrator at my university, I was offered a position leading students on a short term study abroad trip to Spain. However, this position does not start until next year, so I kept on searching for a job. During this search, I applied to another position on campus and was called in for an interview. When I arrived I was informed that the position was already filled. Nevertheless, I was called in because they wanted to hear about my study abroad experience. After talking for a while, the interviewer decided to create a new position just so they could hire me, I couldn’t believe it! My study abroad experience has opened many doors for me, including international employment which was a dream of mine. I had no idea it would lead to more travel and even employment in my field!

-James Nash

ISEP UAM 2013-14

No comments:

Post a Comment